Monday, October 5, 2009

My day at the grind

Don't get me wrong, I generally enjoy my job (I know, blasphemy in the pharmacy blogworld) but sometimes it really amazes me how stupid people can be. This Sunday was massively busy and I stayed a half hour late to catch up on some work. The front store remains open past the pharmacy on weekends so I had the gate closed, doors locked working away at the drugmill. While working, I hear excuse me! I ignore it thinking it could not possibly be for me as having the gates closed is a clear sign that we are not open. Excuse me! Excuse me!...I finally look up after the third or fourth attempt to get my attention and I shit you not, the customer asks if she can ring up her milk here. Now really...how stupid/rude do you have to be?

Today we had our flu clinic and I decided to get the shot. As you all know, Mondays at the pharmacy are hell, though I was quite surprised to see that the pharmacists scheduled to run the clinic had nothing to do but twiddle their thumbs most of the time. Anyway, I went to have my shot given and I asked the pharmacist to just stick it through my shirt as this was the kind I could not easily roll up to expose my deltoid. She said that she didn't think it was a good idea and argued about it with me for several minutes, so finally I just took the damn syringe and jabbed myself. I don't think I have ever seen an asian face go so pale in all my life, she was mortified but I didn't have time to dick around as a backlog of 45 Rxs were already waiting for me.

Later during the clinic they had a child that was NOT going to get a shot. I decided to have a crack at it and showed him the needle I was going to be using. In my hands was a 50ml sodium bicarbonate syringe that we use to make prevacid suspension (the damn vials are a pain in the ass) with attached needle that had to be 2 inches, 18 gauge (a little trick I picked up from the pharmacy chick). I saw another face go whiter than my skin, I'm albino btw, and gave the ole, whoops this one is for the adults, this one (the regular syringe) is for the children. Luckily, the child was more than happy to comply with the "child-sized" injection and the family went away quite happily.

All in all a rather good day, though I was just reminded this evening that my family would be going camping for the long weekend and I can't go because I have to work every day, damn them!

No comments:

Post a Comment